Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Asparagus and Cheese Tart


Asparagus is another spring food that I find irresistible. In fact, my husband refers to this delectable food as "the queen mother of all vegetables." I would have to agree, although, artichokes are right up there too.


Our favorite way to enjoy asparagus is either roasted or grilled (with olive oil, garlic and seasonings). I wanted to make a savory tart that included aspargus and found this recipe on one of my many favorite blogs— Closet Cooking. I did change the recipe a bit however. I went to buy the gruyére cheese and knew that it was expensive but oh my! At my local Walmart it was $13.95 for a half a pound! Ummmm, talk about sticker shock! Time to change the recipe a bit. So, I settled for swiss cheese. I am very happy to report that we did not miss the gruyére.

This tart was very tasty. It works well as a side dish or, it would make a wonderful appetizer. The "queen mother" never disappoints!


Asparagus and Cheese Tart
Adapted slightly from Closet Cooking

Ingredients:
1 sheet puff pastry (thawed according to the packages directions)
2 tablespoon honey dijon mustard
2 cups swiss cheese (sliced or grated), or gruyére cheese
1 pound asparagus (cleaned and bottom of stalk broken off)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
Roll the puff pastry out to a 15x10 inch rectangle.
Score a line around the puff pastry 1 inch from the edge.
Brush the mustard around the inside of the cut.
Sprinkle the cheese over the mustard.
Arrange the asparagus in a single layer over the cheese.
Season with salt and pepper.
Brush the outside inch of the pastry with the oil.
Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the asparagus is tender and the pastry is golden brown, about 15-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment