Monday, November 7, 2011

Creamy Parmesan Portobello Pasta


Every year around August-October, Olive Garden has their "Never Ending Pasta Bowl." You choose any kind of pasta with any kind of sauce and you can "refill" as many times as you like, choosing different pastas and sauces, if you so desire. I am all too familiar with this as I worked as a server there, what seems like eons past. Actually, it wasn't too long ago.

One of my favorite creations they serve up during this time is a creamy portobello sauce. I have attempted to recreate it at home and I must say —YUM!! Is it exactly like their sauce? I'm not sure, but it is quite delicious!


This is a vegetarian dish, yet it's oh so "meaty" with these plump mushrooms paired beautifully with the rich sauce.

I start by removing the gills and breaking off the stem. You can cut up the stems and use those with the rest of the cut mushrooms.


All sliced and ready to be sautéed. You can also grill or roast the mushrooms if you prefer.

Adding minced garlic to the mushrooms just before sautéing. My garlic press is looking a bit rugged. No wonder—I use it all the time!


I had just added the grated fresh parmesan cheese. Looking creamy and mouthwatering.


You can choose whatever pasta you like (just like Olive Garden). I used vermicelli this time. Whole wheat pasta is my preference with this sauce but my family likes linguini or fettucini, which also works very well in this recipe. This is not a "light" dish, but so worth it for a splurge!

Creamy Parmesan Portobello Pasta

  • 4-5 large portobello mushroom caps (I ended up using 5)
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 2 gloves garlic, minced (divided)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2/3 cup half and half
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 3 ounces grated fresh parmesan cheese (extra for serving)
  • 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
  • fresh ground pepper
  • 12-16 ounce pasta
Directions
Remove gills and break off stems from the mushrooms. Rinse mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms and stems about 1/2 inch thick. Heat Olive Oil in skillet on medium. Add mushrooms and 1 clove garlic. Sauté until tender. Slowly stir in cream, half and half, remaining garlic, butter, cheeses and pepper. Heat just to a light boil and turn heat down to simmer 5 - 10 minutes stirring, until sauce thickens.
Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta. Serve. Sprinkle more parmesan cheese on top.

Yield: 4 servings

4 comments:

  1. YES, YES, YES!! I've been craving and looking for a delicious creamy mushroom pasta recipe over the past couple weeks! This looks PERFECT! Thank you for posting!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would love this recipe! I'm bookmarking it my menu plan for next week. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look delicious! I love that this is vegetarian, yet hearty. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks "Girl From Scratch" for stopping by! Let me know if/when you make it, how you like it.

    ReplyDelete