Thursday, October 27, 2011

Apple Bran Spice Muffins

When it comes to baking, I'm usually not brave enough to try my own recipes. This morning however I felt courageous. I knew I wanted to make healthy muffins and I almost opted for pumpkin muffins, but have other pumpkin recipes coming. I had some very yummy apples just screaming to be used so, my recipe was born.


I cut up two small golden delicious apples. These particular ones are so sweet. But of course, you could use any good cooking apple.

After assembling the recipe, I added this oat topping. I added no butter, so it's a bit crumbly and completely optional. I thought they gave the muffins lots of character!


Fresh out of the oven, and smelling lovely!

Ready to be cut, buttered, and enjoyed.

I asked my family to be completely honest about the taste. My husband said that he liked them very much, but wouldn't mind them being a little sweeter. You can of course add more sugar, for me the amount of sweetness was perfect, especially with the sweetness in the topping. My niece who was with us said they were yummy. And my youngest rated them very high on the muffin scale.

Apple Bran Spice Muffins

Ingredients
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat bran
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon clove
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 small cooking apples chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Oat topping: (optional)
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin pan.
In a bowl combine the first nine ingredients (white flour through clove). In a separate mixing bowl lightly beat eggs. Add both white and brown sugar, beat until combined. Add oil, applesauce and yogurt, beat until mixed well.
Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat slowly until combined, scraping down the sides as you go. Stir in apples and pecans.
Pour batter into well greased muffin pan and fill 2/3 full. If using oat topping mix oats, sugar and cinnamon together, sprinkle on top of muffins. Press oats lightly into the top of the muffins. Bake for 15 minutes.

Yield: 11-12 muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment