Monday, August 15, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

I know I have mentioned here before my deep love for all things breakfast. Pancakes are right at the top of my list for great morning fare, perhaps with a side of crisp bacon and a nice hot cup of coffee. What a great way to start a day!

So, I was recently at the library and this is what went home with me. This, is what I call a good time. I know—I'm a cookbook nerd! I don't mind cuddling up to one anytime of day!

Inside this Moosewood Restaurant cookbook I discovered these Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. I new when I saw it, I had to try it.

The ingredients are simple enough. I always love the combination of lemon and blueberry.

To start, we separated 6 eggs. Don't let those egg yolks go to waste...

My imagination was running wild with what to do with the rich egg yolks…perhaps some creme brulee, or how about some homemade ice cream?

The egg whites after beating. What do you think, do they look "fluffy" to you?

We didn't end up putting any syrup on these, just some butter and fresh blueberries. Try them with any combination of fruit and perhaps a dollop of whipped cream. Another serving suggestion would be as a dessert, topped with ice cream and fruit. Yum!

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
From Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

Dry Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup unbleached white flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • pinch of cinnamon
Wet Ingredients
  • 6 egg whites
  • 2 cups ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
  • 1/4 cup fresh blueberries or pitted cherries, thawed frozen blueberries can also be used.

In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until fluffy. Thoroughly fold in the ricotta, vanilla, and lemon peel and then the fruit. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just enough to combine.
Lightly oil a skillet or griddle and place on medium-high heat. Use about 1/4 cup of better for each pancake. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on the first side until bubbles appear on the top. Turn the pancakes and cook on the second side until golden brown, about 1 minute.
Serve topped with your favorite syrup, additional fruit, or fresh whipped cream.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment