Monday, June 20, 2011

Apricot Cream Scones

Quite sometime ago, I spotted this recipe over at Pinch My Salt and I have wanted to make them ever since. I have not eaten a whole lot of scones. In fact, I believe I was an adult before I ever even had one.

I realized while I was making these that sometimes I don't take the time to really enjoy the process of cooking and baking. I'm just so anxious to have and to hold (and eat) the finished product.


I must say that every step of making these was truly enjoyable. As I was mixing the ingredients together, the rich, sweet aroma rising from the bowl was delightful!

"Painting" the tops with cream...I never fancied myself an artist, then I remember, I create "art" in my kitchen everyday.

Right out of the oven and a perfect golden brown.


I served these golden brown scones with apricot preserves and whipped cream. They were the perfect balance of mild sweetness, pleasing texture, and delicious flavor. I told my husband they go best with tea but he destroyed a couple slices with his coffee, and told me I should make them more often! Hurry and make these, you will not be disappointed!

Apricot Cream Scones
From Pinch My Salt

Ingredients
  • 2 C. all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 t. baking powder

  • 1/2 t. salt

  • 1/4 C. sugar

  • 6 T. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

  • 1/2 C. chopped dried apricots
  • 1 egg, beaten

  • 1/2 C. heavy cream

  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
heavy
  • cream for brushing (optional)
  • coarse ground sugar (optional)
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg, cream and vanilla; set aside.
Rub butter mixture into the flour mixture with your fingers (or use a pastry blender) until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the apricot pieces.
Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture all at once and stir until moistened (The mixture should hold together when pinched).
Dump the mixture out onto the counter, gather all the pieces together with your hands and press everything together to form a rough ball. Pat it into a circle, about 3/4 inch thick.
Cut the circle like a pie into 8 pieces and place pieces onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Brush scones with a little cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar (optional)
Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield - 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment